Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fun with Dinner...

The tales of my dinner adventures continue tonight children with more beets. I decided that after several nights of lazy cooking it was time to make something with a little more pizazz. I was thinking about what I had in the fridge on the way home and it seemed like a good day to return to the remaining beets.

I cooked the beets properly this time ( as opposed to being lazy) and boiled them. I got some nifty shots of them on the stove where it looks like there's some kind of alien activity going on because of the way the stove lights up.



My next thought was of the half a cabbage still in the bottom drawer. I fried up some onions and added in cabbage for some tasty treats. Unfortunately I got a little carried away by the excitement of having salt and I oversalted it to a slightly disturbing level. Otherwise it probably would have tasted pretty awesome. I love cabbage and I still have a quarter left.




Meanwhile, I prepared some tofu to be cooked up. I'm certainly not vegetarian or vegan, but a camp I attended when I was younger used to have vegan options and in the mornings they always had scrambled tofu. It never resembled anything like eggs but I tried it once just out of curiosity and it had a lot of spices and flavors. I tend to like tofu just plain but sometimes its nice to mash it up into scrambled egg like quality. I felt like tonight was the night for it so I raided my spice cupboard and added mostly everything I had, which consisted of garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, curry ( hot supposedly), paprika and salt. Again, I over-salted a bit, but the biggest problem was that I didn't add enough spices the first time so I went to add more turmeric and forgot that the top of the jar didn't have nice little holes to pour the spices through. I ended up dumping a huge amount on the tofu. Luckily I managed to get a lot of it off, but still, I think the damage was done. It just tasted weird in the end. But it looked pretty! You can see the pile I took of the top next to the bowl in this picture.



I heated up the tofu in the pan after the cabbage was done, just because I figured I had to at least give it a shot. I had fun with the beets because it looked like someone committed a murder when I poured out the water into the sink. One day I will actually save the juice and dye something in it.



And finally, my meal was complete! For the sake of the picture I tried to make it look pretty. It was an ok meal. Too much salt and the "eggs" weren't really very good. I didn't eat them all. By the way, I have real eggs in the fridge, I just wanted to eat tofu. And that's another dinner adventure. Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment