Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

And the Weird gets weirder

I've been collecting some work oddities to share on my next wacky work post but today by far trumps them all for entertainment value. Usually someone at the front desk picks up calls and transfers them appropriately but occasionally if the phone continues ringing then someone random will pick it up. I happen to do this fairly often because I'm bad at disregarding a phone that is demanding my attention. Anyway, I picked up the phone this afternoon and had the following conversation.

Me: " IH, Emily speaking."
Man on phone: "Mumble mumble... yes I was looking at your website just now and I'm looking for a particular strain..."
( confusion on my part)
Man on phone: " I'm looking for a strain with a high THC count..."
Me: " Umm sir, I thinnnnnnk you have the wrong number. This is a food bank."
Man on phone: "Oh, yea then this is the wrong person." Click.

Apparently our organization shares its name with a medical marijuana facility in Canada- or at least it used to. This seems to be the first time anyone has gotten a call in a while. How in the world they got our phone number associated with that I have no idea. I searched out this website and found it without much trouble. Apparently Canada is a great country after all. The website doesn't provide much information except to say that it is a medical marijuana site operating legally in Canada and providing "a range of medical cannabis strains to suit your therapeutic needs." So there you have it, I've been officially christened in the company. We've decided our next endeavor will have to be adding Cannabis to our new mobile food pantry.

Perhaps equally as odd was my discovery of the American Society of Dowsers. I was looking through a guide to Freeport and came across the Society of Dowsers. I had no idea what this meant but was overjoyed to find it meant a society of people who divine for water. Apparently it's not just about water.
Here's a statement from the About Us section of ASD:
"The American Society of Dowsers is a nonprofit corporation founded in Vermont in 1961 to disseminate knowledge of dowsing (water witching, discovery of lost articles or persons, and related para-psychological phenomena), development of its skills, and recognition for its achievements."
So dowsing eh? There seems to be a fairly prolific amount of chapters to this society, which makes me wonder what this is all about. The Freeport Library hosts Dowsing speakers so maybe when I have some free time I can go down for some entertainment. I honestly had no idea that people did this anymore. Actually, from what I gather browsing their website, it seems almost closer to a spiritual thing than anything else. Article on the site include "Dowsing for well being", "Map Dowsing" and "Body Dowsing," "How I use Dowsing as a Middle School Teacher".

Further investigation led me to Dowsers of the West, which describes d as "communication with one’s high self, or the world of spirit, using a tool (a pendulum, an L-rod, a Y-rod, a bobber) or your physical body, with a desire for an accurate response to a statement, a question, or a request for information, inspiration, ideas, or help."

Dowsers of the West suggests they are able to modify the weather. Who knew?? So find your local chapter and go dowse!

No comments:

Post a Comment