Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Yes, there is a heaven, and it looks a lot like maple bacon cupcakes

I've mentioned that our office likes to eat, so in addition to the regular offering of sweets that have been coming in and out of the office ( maybe I don't need to get food stamps after all) there are occasionally some special ones. We have several people who like to bake at work and we get treated to their lovely desserts sometimes. Yesterday, however, was a special day because S brought in cupcakes she had ordered from her friend for her husband's birthday. These cupcakes were maple bacon flavored and boy were they amazing. I think eating more than half a cupcake might be deadly because they are super-rich, but they are also super tasty.

Surprisingly I've found that maple bacon cupcakes are not that unique. The internet is full of pictures and recipes for them, however most pictures show a cupcake with bacon on top. The cupcake I ate was a soft, delicious yellow cupcake with frosting that tasted like eating a breakfast of pancakes and bacon. I think this cupcake proves that it's not all about being pretty because it was fairly extraordinary looking but its taste was fantastic. I don't know how she did it, but the bacon must have been blended into the frosting. SO GOOD! I haven't tried any other maple bacon cupcake but I would venture to say that this one was superior to any of the ones I've seen before. Apparently she usually makes cakes but is branching out into cupcakes now that they have become more popular. As a side note I would like to say that I've always liked cupcakes better than cake so I loved cupcakes before it was cool! S also writes a food blog and she will be documenting the maple bacon cupcake soon as well.

And speaking of sweet things.... a friend from England was in NY this week and I went to meet him and his friends in the city. Along the way we ended up at the Carnegie Deli, since that is truly the New York experience. While B tackled a monster sandwich, his friend tackled a monster slice of cake/pie. It was a literally a giant slab of chocolate, which amazingly he finished with much coercion. It was such a huge slice that it seemed worthy of a photo. So here it is.

2 comments:

  1. My thesis adviser makes gourmet ice creams. One of her favorite flavors is chocolate bacon. OMG, so good. Also, your blog makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as a canadian, i approve of pretty much anything maple flavoured. and as a fatty, i approve of the bacon. everybody wins.

    ReplyDelete