Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Soups Galore

Now that apparently it has decided to be winter, it's a good season to break out the soups.
I've also been on the borderline of sick since after Christmas and there's one thing that is always a cure: chicken soup! If you're sick, you have to make chicken soup. My mom always did, but I've never made my own until now.

The process is actually a lot simpler than I imagined. Really all you need is chicken broth, some veggies and some chicken. Of course you could go old school and make your own broth, but let's not get carried away. According to my mom you can either use chicken that's skinned already or use chicken that has skin which will need more cooking time but will also make the broth richer. The second version also requires you to scoop the fat off the top of the soup after it cools.

I tried the skinless version. There weren't a huge amount of choices in chicken pieces, and as I've mentioned before, I'm pretty picky about the meat I buy, when I do buy meat. I bought some fairly thin breast pieces and tossed them in a pot with chicken broth, chopped carrots, chopped celery, chopped garlic, dill, and dried parsley. Everything boils for about half an hour and voila! you have chicken soup. I think for my first try it came out very well.Soup number 2 was based loosely on a recipe for split pea turnip soup, which I think also came from mom. I had looked at the recipe vaguely a few times but it involves a crock pot and dried split peas so I just created my own version using frozen turnips and frozen peas.

I boiled vegetable stock with frozen turnips, frozen peas, celery, garlic and a potato cut in chunks. I also added onion powder, a pinch of turmeric, a pinch of paprika. I boiled it all for about half an hour or so then let it cool off a bit and blended it with the handheld blender or 'motorboat'. I left chunks in it, but I blended the majority of it.

Above is the photo before the blend and below is after the blend.


It came out nice and hearty like I was hoping. It's a great winter soup! Nice amount of flavor and a good texture. Soup for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment