Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Quiche, Fail? Pasta, Win?



Quiche is one of my favorite easy to make recipes. My mom developed a nice recipe from a cookbook she had and I've used it a number of times. The typical quiche involves broccoli and cheese but we've both modified it a few times to include spinach or other things like tomatoes. I've made it several times at college without any issue, but I tried to make it the other day and had an interesting result. The recipe states that you can use either milk or yogurt or a combo of milk and yogurt. I was intending to just use milk but I had so much yogurt I decided to use a mix. I realized I had no measuring cups but I did have a cup of yogurt to which I added some milk.

I'm not sure if it was the oven or the yogurt ( though I've used yogurt before) but it came out a bit messy. The top was completely brown, more so than it really should have been, but the inside was still really liquidy and soft. I gave it a little extra time in the oven but I was afraid the cheese would completely burn. It got a little less runny but it still wasn't quite right. Since I feel ok I'm assuming I didn't give myself food poisoning. Hooray. I'll see what its like after a few days in the fridge. I think this oven just is way more powerful than anything I've ever used. The stove top gets hot so fast and is quite seriously hot. I somehow managed to burn the green beans the other day when I steamed them. I think there must have been something still stuck to the pot because green beans shouldn't turn a pot black.

Oh, and I also used completely the wrong pie crust. Not deep dish and it was very dessert like instead of something that might be savory. Oh well.
On to the success story. I realize pasta is pretty well impossible to mess up, but I'm still proud of my little pasta dish tonight. The pasta itself was obviously easy and I did have a jar of the lovely Victoria sauce, provided by my parents, but ( mom should be proud) I wanted some protein with my pasta. I had bought ground turkey earlier in the week so I made little turkey meatballs and fried them up in a pan with garlic and onions. Then when they were mostly cooked I put them in the pot with the sauce and let it all heat up. And then voila! Pasta with even more delicious sauce and turkey meatballs.
Thank you very much, I'll be here all week.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm! Your pasta sounds delicious!

    And I love hearing about food experiments gone not completely right. Here's a quiche recipe I've been dying to try out: http://mcconkiemenu.blogspot.com/2009/09/veggie-quiche-with-potato-crust.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love quiche. (my favourite is brie and leek - SWOON!) however, my grandmother used to make quiche with green giant frozen vegetable medley. it was...not good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo Natalie, that looks like a fun quiche!

    Man, I should try putting brie into a quiche. That is genius. Yum.

    ReplyDelete