Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Milk and Creamer ... the Saga Begins

So I promised you updates about our milk contestants and so far I haven't delivered. Life has been busy and milk free ( but not really dairy free). I actually owe credit to my  mom for restarting the fuel for this post.

So, here is round one. So far I've only tried the oat milk and the hemp milk, but as my room mate K, pointed out, the hemp milk is actually "hemp drink", so it's not actually what I wanted.

I have not been impressed by hemp drink at all. It's not really bad, but it's not particularly good either. In the straight-up test it wasn't very impressive. I couldn't bring myself to use it in cereal. It will probably end up in the trash tomorrow since it's been open for a while. K gave it a negative rating too.

Oat milk has been going quite well. It has a pretty good flavor  that definitely has an oat taste to it and nice thick consistency. I've used it successfully in cereal and it's decent on it's own. It can be ok with cookies, but it's got nothing on milk in that arena. The problem though is that the lowfat, non vanilla type still has tons of sugar in it. It doesn't taste sweet, but I bet it tastes a lot better than it would with no sugar.

I haven't opened the other candidates yet, however on Sunday my mom brought me a few more things to add to try out. Since I mentioned coffee and creamers she brought me two types of non-dairy creamer alternatives, which I've seen but haven't attempted to try yet.

#1 So Delicious, Coconut Creamer
#2 Organic Valley, Soy Creamer

Rich consistency
I opened the Coconut cream tonight just to give it a quick taste test straight up. I was actually shocked to discover that it was amazingly delicious. It's thick, creamy and really smooth. There's definitely a mild coconut taste, but it's not overwhelming. I want to just drink the stuff. It even has the right color.  The best part? There's literally nothing bad about it! It's got no fat, only 1 gram of sugar in a Tbsp and 10 calories! I know it's supposed to be creamer, but might have to start just drinking this stuff! Good call mom! You can check out other So Delicious products here. They have a line of coconut milk products, soy products, almond milk and some other oddities. This makes me more inclined to try the coconut milk drink I have, although it's a different brand. Thankfully they do sell this in stop and shop so it shouldn't be hard to get, unlike some of the other options. Stay tuned for the soy creamer update and others to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment