Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Not Your Grandmother's Food Stamps


Well folks, I've now officially started off the application process for Food Stamp/SNAP benefits so my thirty days until I supposedly get benefits starts now. Unfortunately I know there's a huge backlog at the Department of Social Services so that's unlikely to actually happen. Still, the process has been started.

Part of my service this year is to sign people up for benefits like SNAP, which is the new name for Food Stamps. New is a relative term since it changed in '08 but NY has been slow to get on board with the changes. SNAP stands for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, because that's apparently classier than saying food stamps. The theory behind the name change is that it will erase some of the stigma around Food Stamps. Many people are hesitant to apply because
1) the application process is a nuisance and confusing if you don't know the rules
2) they think they are taking money away from someone else who might need it more
3) their pride just can't handle having someone give them assistance.
4) they don't know they are eligible
5) They just don't understand the system.
6) the Dss or Food Stamp distributing agency in your state often treats people with very little or no respect.

This is something I'm working on this year. There are a lot of things people should realize about SNAP that might make them reconsider.
1) If you are paying taxes then you are funding SNAP by default so technically you are or have been ( if you're out of a job) paying for your own food funding.
2) You can apply online now, like I just did. You still will have to meet a case worker unless you have extenuating circumstances but it takes some of the initial unpleasantness away.
3) SNAP benefits are available to all who qualify. You will not be taking away benefits from anyone else by applying.
4) Many seniors, legal aliens and just ordinary low-income citizens may qualify
5) You can apply for all sorts of state benefits in the same application as SNAP
6) SNAP benefits and other state benefits come on an Electronic Benefits card called EBT that you can use like a debit card.
7)SNAP puts money INTO the community because people can use their benefits at local store. $5 in SNAP benefits produces $9 of economic activity according to the USDA

So that's my plug for SNAP. Let's count the days before I hear from a caseworker and get to submit all my documents! If I get them by June I will be impressed. As for being treated with no respect, well I'm interested in going down to DSS and seeing what it is like. I have heard the horror stories and I'm not really looking forward to it, but I think its good job research.

No comments:

Post a Comment