Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Trader Joe's Food Reviews


Yes, it makes me unreasonably happy to use my reusable Trader Joe's bag made of recycled bottles. I've now been to the store 3 times and been able to use my bag after the first two. I've been wanting to write about Trader Joe's for a while but somehow haven't gotten around to it. So here's the low down.

I always thought TJs had the reputation of being one of those expensive hoity-toity kind of places like Whole Foods, since they always seemed to be located in somewhat upscale areas and health conscious communities, so when I discovered one in Plainview I wasn't in a rush to check it out. Then a co-worker told me she shops there all the time and that the prices are very reasonable. She claimed to have packed her whole shopping cart full for $100. That sounded impressive, as did the prices she listed. I'm a bit skeptical about the cart for $100 because I found it quite easy to spend money there, however, there were some things with very reasonable prices. What I wouldn't buy there is vegetables or cheese. I've yet to see a cooking demo which she swears they have all the time, but I also have a feeling this particular store might be smaller than some of the others.

They have a lot of frozen foods and a lot organic and interesting foods. My most recent trip tonight included some goodies. I'm trying out the Trader Joe's brand products as well as other random stuff. So far the failure has been fake sun chips. Bad texture and taste. Otherwise I've met some fun foods.

Exhibit A: Tonight's Guilty pleasure. Organic low fat chocolate syrup. Tastes a bit like chocolate pudding. But way better. Yumtastic!



Exhibit B: Yogurt. Sounds not that exciting but it is really really tasty yogurt and really really smooth, which is not always the case. I have weird issues with yogurt that has chunks in it. I'm not sure what makes this yogurt so awesome but it really is.



Exhibit C: TJ Hummus. Honestly I didn't like this very much at first. The best description I have is that tasted too light. It didn't seem like eating hummus. It's grown on me a bit but still I don't know that its the way to go. I bought an olive hummus tonight so I will give that a try.



Exhibit D: TJ's Seaweed Snack. I bought these tonight and I'm already in love. They were only 99 cents! If you like sushi then you should enjoy the taste of these. A little bit crispy at first but then they melt into that seaweed texture you get in miso soup. They are salty, thin and delicious, and I believe seaweed is good for you. Instant snack!


Exhibit E: TJ Edamame! That's soybeans, shelled and deliciouso. They have them lightly cooked and salted and oh my are they a tasty snack. I devoured half a pack over a week and then sadly spilled the other half on the floor, which was tragic.They also have frozen ones but I haven't tried that yet. I had to steal the picture cause I didn't take one. But the blog / website I borrowed it from also mentioned seaweed snacks! Interesting website to look at too if you're interested.



And now for my favorite, Exhibit F: Avocado's Number Guacamole. This was highly recommended and I must say I haven't been disappointed. Usually I would just make my own because its pretty easy, although I don't have the gauc skills that J has, but since this I was informed that this was "the best guacamole you will ever eat" I had to try it. I'm pretty much a sucker for avocado in any form anyway. Plus, who can beat the clever name? Not Avagadro's number, but avocado's because there are 5 whole avocados in each package. Winner!


I have more products from TJs that will likely end up in another post when I get around to them. Sneak peak? Trader O's, TJ's Pho,Low fat Havarti, Organic PB and chocolate chip cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment