Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tuna Two Ways

When I moved out East, I bought a Foreman Grill at Target because it was ridiculously cheap and it seemed like a fun way to cook things. It was only $15 but it is also pretty tiny, which works nicely for my lack of counter space.

A while back, I also purchased a nice frozen, air-locked 3- pack of tuna steaks from Trader Joe's. I've bought their fish once before and it was pretty tasty, so I figured it's a good thing to have on hand. I rediscovered the fish in my freezer the other day and decided it was time to get them cooking.

The tuna thawed all day in the fridge, which only left me with the problem of what to do with it. I decided to test out the grill, which so far has been sitting in the box, unopened. I wanted to test out a few methods though, so I decided one for the grill and two for the oven. I have had this packaged thai peanut seasoning that I've been wanting to try out as well so I coated two steaks in the seasoning and let one marinate in a ziplock bag with oil, vinegar, onion powder, garlic salt and a little soy sauce.

The grill was a little scary because it was brand new and smelled weirdly of new material. I decided to test it out on a few carrots that weren't in good shape anyway. You can see them there at the bottom in the drip pan when I took them out.
It seemed safe enough to cook so as my tuna steaks with Thai peanut coating were in the oven I put the marinated one on the grill. It cooked up really fast and came out with those pretty grill marks. I think the grilled one came out just perfectly done.

The others were good but I think they could have come out of the oven sooner. I was afraid of under cooking them so I think I overcooked them a tiny bit. They still tasted good, but the grilled one was the perfect texture.

I really enjoyed the Thai peanut coating though. It had a really nice kick to it. The box comes with two packages and I only needed one for the tuna steaks.


I cooked up some frozen french cut green beans to go with my meal and I was done. They were a little underwhelming, but don't they look pretty?

2 comments:

  1. They look pretty good Em! It's always better to undercook tuna...you want it to be moist, but I think you figured that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! You've inspired me to try this out with my George Foreman!

    ReplyDelete