Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Dunkin Donuts Pancake Bites



I know I've been talking about Dunkin Donuts a lot recently, but they seem to be inescapable in my life these days. I hear ads for them constantly on the radio and they are constantly trying to outdo themselves ( and Starbucks). I even got a free coffee from them the other day as my work took me to a gas station/ Dunkin.

Anyway, the latest product from DD is the Pancake Sausage Bites. Essentially its breakfast condensed into a bite, also known as a maple flavored pancake wrapped around a little bite of sausage. Now, in theory, I like this idea, because I like the sweet and savory, and as breakfast foods go, pancakes and sausage are pretty awesome; however, in practicality I am terrified of what sort of meat might be in said sausage ( please refer to my previously mentioned fear of strange meat products, particularly in ground up form). I just wanted to bring some attention to these because they seem like an interesting food invention, but I decided to do a little research before writing the blog post and I found that they already have a pretty good bit of press.

Aol and SlashFoods reviewed them with a fairly positive review, although their picture looked a lot less appetizing than the official DD press picture seen above. This reviewer thought it might be a good idea to chuck the maple flavor and add dipping syrup. Despite the positive review, the write up did mention that just three of these little bites are 300 calories and that the ingredient list is quite lengthy for such a small bite.

I looked at the ingredients and it seems like a lot of preservatives, and a surprising amount of different types of flours and starches. Look for yourself if you like.

Another article I found from the Chicago Tribune also approved of the bites and said everyone needed to stop freaking out about crazy sounding fast foods like the sausage bites of the infamous double down. The Tribune cited another article titled "Dunkin' Donuts Pancake Bites Scare Everyone-- Even Its Employees!" as being a ridiculous overreaction to this food. The author, Kim Conte, had this to say about her experience:

Was it just me being hyper self-conscious or did the employee at Dunkin' Donuts actually snicker when I ordered the new Sausage Pancake Bites?

Nope, nope, I definitely wasn't imagining it because of what happened next: She turned to another employee and said something I couldn't understand; but I do know it ended in "Sausage Pancake Bites," an eye-roll, and then peels of laughter. Yup, they were definitely laughing at me. Oh, and when they called out my order, the male customer next to me muttered, "Ew, gross" and shot me a look of utter disgust.

Having not tried this invention myself, I can't really weigh in yet, but there seem to be a fair batch of mixed reviews. At 300 calories though, I don't know that its really worth it. I'll just have a donut. Yum.

3 comments:

  1. Those look... awful. Haha. Maybe I've been gluten-free for too long or something but... :-/.

    Post if/when you try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I can bring myself to that yet. Everyone seems to be reviewing them as if they were breakfast corn dogs. That's not a pancake to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago I found these frozen breakfast items that looked like corn dogs, but were really composed of a sausage wrapped in a pancake and held on a stick. Looks and sounds kind of gross, I know, but I thought they were GENIUS.

    This new thing reminds me of that- seems icky, and I can see it's very unhealthy, but I assume they'll taste good. Despite the overwhelming number of Dunkin Donuts up here (it's like Boston's Starbucks), I don't go very often so I might not get around to trying them for a while.

    ReplyDelete