Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Food Bonanza day

After lying in bed all day, literally all day until about 5:00pm due to some adventures last night, I decided some cooking was in order. We originally were planning to have a little bbq but no one was really prepared so I decided it was a good day to do some cooking for the week.
On the menu:
Corn muffins
Red Potato Salad
Tuna Casserole

Corn muffins are easy because all they involve are a box, an egg and milk. They went into the oven while I prepared the water for the noodles. Meanwhile we start heating up water for the potatoes and slicing some onions. I knew the general principles behind potato salad and tuna casserole but I didn't have an actual recipe so I did a quick check online and found an easy tuna recipe that I could modify a little. The potato salad I used Paula Dean's recipe to vaguely go off of because all the other recipes involved hard boiled eggs or bacon for some reason. There are no eggs allowed in my potato salad, thanks anyway. The corn muffins come out in 15 minutes and then I can put together the tuna.

While I was waiting for the noodles to cook and the potato water to boil I started putting the "sauce" for the casserole together which is cream of mushroom soup, tuna, milk, onions, a little cheese, salt, pepper and paprika. Since I was still waiting I explored the fridge for some additions and got a tiny bit of frozen peas and carrots, some pickles and a few pieces of a portobello mushroom.

The whole thing wouldn't fit in one pan so I used a second small pan, which I happened to be storing a little bit of leftover tofu in. It seemed silly to toss out the tofu so I crumpled it up and put it on top of the second casserole. I haven't gotten to taste that one yet but it looks pretty good.


Meanwhile, the potatoes that take forever to cook come out and I mix them in with onions, mayo, mustard, a little cider vinegar, salt, pepper and a tiny bit of water. I was pretty proud of it cause it tasted good. Some of the potatoes may still be a tiny bit underdone and the onions are cut in kinda ridiculously huge pieces, but that's ok.




All in all it was successful, although not the best dinner to invite company too cause there's a lot of onions. I did get a thumbs up from my roommates on the tuna casserole. Yay cheap and easy food!!! And the best part is I have tons of leftovers so I can eat for a long time!

2 comments:

  1. You wouldn't go near my partners version of potato "salad" as all it contains is potato (duh!), hb eggs & mayo. Nothing else! I've tried to jazz it up with bits of this or pieces of that over the years - but she flatly refuses me. "Add it to your own bowl" is the usual reply. But she is from a far off island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, no egg is allowed in my potato salad. It's allowable in German or Amish Style macaroni salad, but just barely!

    ReplyDelete