Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Cookies

Well the days roll on and apparently its almost Christmas, or so the calendar tells me, and the stack of unwrapped presents in my closet. I realize that soon I'll have to start thinking about the traditional Christmas cookies. The chocolate chips are non-negotiable, but I may end up baking very close to Christmas. We shall see. The other cookies, part of a tradition started by my aunt, are usually sugar cookies and tea cookies. I've pretty much given up on the sugar cookies, because unlike my aunt, I don't own a cookie press, and since there are only really five people who will be eating said cookies, really maybe four or even three, we don't need as many as we used to when the family lived closer together. But, cookies are important of course, and I've been carrying the torch for a number of years with the chocolate chip cookies and my personal favorite, the tea cookies.

This year, perhaps some experimentation is in order. Mom showed me some cookies which won Eating Well magazine's healthy holiday cookie prize. Once again I use the term healthy with some caution, however I believe most of them are lower in fat. I have to say I wasn't overwhelmingly impressed by most of them but there's one that looks like a tea cookie, made without butter that sounds like it could be a winner. I'm not sure that it counts as anywhere near healthy, but if its a little less unhealthy at least that's something.

The other interesting cookie is called a dark chocolate Florentine, and looks lovely and crispy, so that might be added to the list. I like crispy cookies; the soft ones really just don't do it for me usually, unless they are warm and fresh out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment