Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

WIC approved

OK, and now a moment to plug Government Programs....

I took a picture of this in the store the other day because I was excited to recognize one of the programs that we list in our resource guides for our clients at my food bank. This program is called WIC, which stands for Women, Infants and Children. It is a nutrition program which allows pregnant and post-pregnancy women and children up till 5 to get a check for certain kinds of foods. The point is not only to provide food to the low-income bracket but also to provide nutritious foods for mothers and children, so only certain foods are WIC approved. The bread that I bought happens to be approved. I've never seen these signs, or at least never noticed them before starting with Americorps.So maybe only the VISTAS out there find this exciting, but I thought it was pretty cool. If you're interested knowing more about the WIC program check out the FNS USDA website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment