Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

A chain worth blogging about

Lots of good things to talk about in food news like the free range eggs I recently purchased from a local Civic Council, or the intriguing new Sol sunflower milk I've seen in the supermarket or the Thai tuna casserole I just made, however, today I'd like to talk about a recent restaurant find called Energy Kitchen.

When I'm not at work, most of my time is being taken up by massage therapy school. This means I find myself in Sysosset several times a week. Here's what I've learned about Syosset: There's a LOT of money there and there's an alternative, new age, trendy sort of vibe that seems to govern at least certain parts of the town. As a result there are some interesting food choices. I had been getting food from a sort of 'healthy deli' where they had nice salads, sandwiches and wraps and frozen yogurt but no red meat. It was probably the best option and they are open late, which is helpful when you get out of class at 8 or 9pm.

About a month back however, I saw another place when I stopped at the Kinkos up the road. It was called Energy kitchen but there was paper all over the windows so I figured they had closed down. I discovered a few weeks ago that they were opening rather than closing ( I think, or maybe remodeling?).  Anyway, I saw that they were open and then a teacher recommended the place so I decided to give it a shot. They are also open late, even later in fact than the other place. Apparently this chain started in the Financial district and has branched out across the city to include 11 locations. There are also 2 in NJ and 2 in FL.

I tested them out a few nights ago and enjoyed myself thoroughly. I won't say that they aren't somewhat deceptive ( every good thing has a catch right?) but I do believe that their food is genuinely more healthy than a lot of places that claim to be healthy.  Here's what their website says about their food:
We take the guesswork out of eating healthy by offering a completely guilt-free, fail-proof menu. There are no hidden temptations, no hidden calories and, best of all, no regrets. Everything on our menu is grilled, baked or steamed, never fried, and always under 500 calories.

I ordered a turkey burger with 2 sides, which is one of the meal deals they offer. Their side dish choices blew me away, but I ended up getting the mashed sweet potatoes and the corn and edamame salad. I was also definitely intrigued by the black bean and mango salad and the baked fries. That I will have to save for next time. The burger comes on a whole wheat bun with lettuce and tomato and here's my only problem with this restaurant; the burgers are tiny. Actually, they are probably what a normal burger should be, but as Americans we are so used to eating giant portions of everything. So the secret to their 500 calories in partially size. But I can forgive them. Between that and the sides I felt full afterwards, so no harm done. It also comes in a cute little tray that looks like wood.
Since I was sitting there for a little while I also scored a free  protein brownie which has sort of an odd sticky consistency but overall was pretty decent. 
This afternoon I once again found myself hungry in Syosset and opted to try out something other than a burger. This time I chose the Thai Chicken wrap, sans sides. It was also good. I can't really describe it any other way than to say it tasted healthy. Some people might think of this as a negative, but I think it's a positive. It tasted fresh, even the wrap.  The best part about Energy kitchen is that it's reasonably priced, by New York standards anyway. My burger and 2 sides cost $9.50, which is basically what you'd end up paying for Wendy's these days, and this is a hell of a lot better for you than that is ( although the fast food is delicious). On the opposite end of the spectrum, I passed a Smash Burger the other day and was tempted to stop for some fried pickles. Somehow I restrained myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment