Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Love at first Bite

A few weeks ago I made a sort of impulse/test purchase in the snack aisle. I tend to stay away from this aisle in general because I try to spend my money more on food and less on snack. Nevertheless, snacks are important, especially at work. I saw that these new Keebler Wheatable crackers were on sale and that they claimed right on the packaging to be "better than Wheat Thins". I happen to like Wheat Thins so I thought I'd test this claim. The nutrition facts were decent as well so it seemed like a win-win.

I tested them out and thought they were decent. I'm not sure I'd say better than Wheat Thins, but definitely similar and tasty. The following week I was in the store again and saw that they Wheatable Nut Crisps. The flavor they had that day was cashew, which is not really my favorite nut, but I certainly don't dislike it either. Again they were on sale so I bought them. I opened them at work the next way and was completely blown away.

They tasted nothing like the original honey wheat flavor. At first I felt like I was eating pancakes. There was a definite syrup like taste going on. After a few more I decided that they were equivalent to eating french toast - at least in flavor. The weird thing is that there really isn't a whole lot of sugar in them, nor is there anything resembling syrup in them. There is also a distinct lack of cashew taste, which doesn't bother me at all.
These little snacks are highly addictive. I've managed to get my whole department hooked on them. My boss decided that 'malt' is the ingredient giving these tasty treats their syrup flavor since a comparison of both boxes showed that the original flavor only has a hint of malt. I'm on my second box and I bought a box for my co-worker who couldn't find them at Stop and Shop ( which by the way is where I found mine).  While they aren't the greatest thing for you, they certainly aren't so awful as snacks go. They also have a Pecan flavor, which I'm eager to try since I actually really do like Pecans. I wonder if those taste like any sort of breakfast food. Guess I will have to let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment