Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday Driving Special


Today we feature the car/driving section of this blog. Has anyone else noticed these bumper protectors that have been cropping up all over the place? I just don't understand them. They look like a mat that's stuck to the back of the bumper, presumably with the intention of preventing scratches, dents etc on your bumper.

Let's think about this for a second.... it's called a BUMPER, which means it may get BUMPED. And yes, that means it may not always be perfect looking. Here's what wikipedia says: Bumper (automobile), the part of an automobile designed to help it withstand the impact of a collision.

Ok, so you're telling me that this part of the car is DESIGNED to withstand the impact of a collision? Sooooo why do I need extra protection exactly? If someone slams into me hard enough to cause massive damage I don't think having a rubber mat over the back of my car and protecting the shine of my bumper is really going to be my top priority. Just a thought.

Additionally, even though all the images I can find online of these hideous things are pretty symmetrical and not totally ugly, every single one I've seen on the road looks like someone took a rubber mat off the floor of their car and tacked it haphazardly onto the back of their car. Let me tell you, it isn't attractive looking. You'd be better off with dents. Now maybe these ugly mats have some other purpose, since I can't seem to find any that resemble the one's I've seen. If this is the case them please, someone enlighten me. Maybe they are just so ugly no one wants a picture of them?

3 comments:

  1. is there anything people WON'T buy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No me gusta.

    But I think this is a fantastic idea: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/dining/211frex.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. That's almost as good as the avocado fries my friend found yesterday. I don't want my olives deep fried I don't think though.

    ReplyDelete